Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Adventures in Meditation

I've always been a crazy busy person. With a full time job doing events, a part time wedding coordination business, volunteer roles, keeping up a house and just keeping up family and friends, people ask me how in the world do I get everything done?

Well, I don't. I'm reading Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In where she talks about not doing everything - she focuses on what's important.

In the past few weeks, I've realized that I need to make myself more important during all this crazy scheduling. So I started getting up a little bit earlier each day to walk 40 minutes on the treadmill. It's only been a week and I missed the weekend, but I was back this morning and still focused on that goal.

When we got back from Disney, I heard about an app called Headspace. It's free for the first ten days and then a subscription but I have fallen in love with it, so I'm paying for it (something like the cost of two coffees a month). I'm not even getting paid to talk about this app but I do really think it's doing something good for me.

I'm focusing on the daily meditation thing for ten minutes each morning. It's apparently just the right amount of time for my hair to dry in the towel while I'm getting ready after my treadmill walking.

So by the time 8 am rolls around and I'm heading into the office, I've already walked for 40 minutes or so and taken ten minutes of quiet time for me, just to be still. It's been so amazing for me and my psyche.

Do you take time every day to just sit and be still?

2 comments:

  1. I try to meditate every day. Some days I get a full 10-15 minutes, some days just a couple. I also am trying to teach Liam to meditate. He tries for 30 seconds to a minute right now. Its kind of adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read that book, it sounds great! And I have heard of that app before! I really want to get better about waking up before Jude to have some "me" time to just read or meditate.

    ReplyDelete